Monday 16 April 2012

The velocity of Saul at the time of his conversion

Loosen the wire/ Your time has expired/ the only word left is "goodbye."/ In my new dream the light's shining on me/ Little needles of sodium unstitch the seams of the sky/ Hold your head higher/ The heavenly choir is settling in for the night/ And where I had friends I am left with loose ends/ Four hours of vision exchanged for four hours of fright/ But enough of "the fight"/ Enough "you and I"/ Enough of "prevail" or "walk in the light."/ While the angels stand by/ I get high as a kite/ I'm too tired to smile or know that I'm right/ Am I right?/ And all our best-laid plans/ They crumbled in our hands/ Our flags fell where they'd fanned/ You held in your breath/ Long after projections of death/ You sat in the waiting room gasping and rasped on dry land/ But the audience is tired/ "we've had enough fire, we're entering the age now of ice."/ And I, feeling older, pull off to the shoulder/ And wonder, with my head in my hands/ Should I call my wife?/ And say "enough 'you and I,' enough of 'the fight,' enough of 'prevail' or 'walk in the light'?"/ While the angels stood by/ I got high as a kite/ Too tired to smile or know that I'm right/ And when the spacecraft came down/ I was left on the ground/ Will you keep me around, will you help me survive after my

(Okkervil River)




No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'll meet you in the light.

Followers